How to get away with murder: NPD chief says Kian Loyd only identified as suspect during drug ops
The head of the Northern Police District (NPD) said Kian Loyd Delos Santos, the 17-year-old student who was shot dead by policemen in Caloocan City last week, was only identified as a drug suspect when anti-drug operations were ongoing.
In a press conference in Camp Crame Monday (August 21), Chief Superintendent Roberto Fajardo admitted Delos Santos was neither on the drug watch list nor a target of the operations carried out by the Caloocan City police on August 16.
However, he claimed that the police received intelligence information that the teenager was used as a drug runner by a certain “Neneng.”
“Actually newly identified lang siya based doon sa intel and at the same time yung sa nahuli (naming ka-transaksyon niya).(When you say newly-identified) that’s either during the operation. Pag newly-identified ka, wala ka dati sa listahan, bigla lang nag-come up,” Fajardo said.
The NPD chief said that based on their information, Delos Santos reportedly sold at least 10 grams of shabu daily.
Three days after Delos Santos’ death, the Caloocan City police presented to the media one Roberto Loberas, who claimed he dealt drugs with the teenager.
While Fajardo admitted Delos Santos was not a target of the anti-drug operations, he questioned why the teenager had to run when the police arrived in their area at Barangay 160 in Libis Baesa.
“The mere fact na tumakbo siya, bakit tumakbo, ‘yun ang tinitingnan (bakit natakot),” he said.
Police claimed the teenager shot at them while trying to escape during anti-drug operations but surveillance footage and eyewitness accounts show otherwise.
The Philippine National Police and National Bureau of Investigation are conducting separate probes into the incident, while the Senate will start its own investigation on Thursday (August 24).
For its part, Fajardo said the NPD is building a case against Delos Santos’ father and uncle, who he claims are involved in the illegal drug trade.