POLITIKO News

No more hurdles: Comelec junks Duterte Youth petition vs Guanzon’s substitution as party-list rep

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has junked the opposition that sought to stop the substitution of nominees Komunidad ng Pamilya, Pasyente at Persons with Disabilities (P3PWD) party list.

Comelec Spokesperson John Rex Laudiangco said on Thursday (June 23) the Comelec en banc on Wednesday (June 22) approved the recommendation of the Law Department to deny the opposition filed by Duty to Energize the Republic Through the Enlightenment of the Youth (DUTERTE Youth) party list.

The Comelec had previously granted the withdrawal of five P3PWD nominees who were substituted by five new nominees including former Comelec Commissioner Rowena Guanzon who became the first nominee.

DUTERTE Youth opposed the substitution of nominees made by P3PWD since it violated Comelec rules which prohibited the substitution of party list nominees prior the elections.

Contrary to the claims of DUTERTE Youth, Laudiangco said the Comelec en banc had pointed out that “Resolution 10717 provides for the rules prior to elections and not post-elections.”

The spokesperson noted that DUTERTE Youth benefited from this when the Comelec, in a 2019 case against the party list, “granted/allowed/gave due course to withdrawals, substitutions and submission of new list of nominees after elections.”

You may also like
Provincial News