Ang lakas ng hina: Alvarez gets no co-sponsorship speech at confirmation hearing
This was one occasion where House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez could not make a show of his power.
Alvarez, one of eight lawmakers whose promotion as reserve military officers were heard at the Commission on Appointments, had no one to “co-sponsor” him Wednesday.
He was to be confirmed to a reserve Colonel in the Philippine Navy. Others whose confirmation the CA took up included:
– Sen. Lorna Regina Legarda to reserve Colonel, Philippine Air Force
– Sen. Emmanuel Pacquiao to reserve Colonel, Philippine Army
– Rep. Rodolfo Farinas to reserve Colonel, Judge Advocate General Service
– Rep. Roy Loyola to reserve Colonel, Philippine Army
– Rep. Joel Mayo Almario to reserve Colonel, PAF
– Rep. Gwendolyn Garcia to reserve Colonel, PA
– Rep. Bai Sandra Sema to reserve Lt. Col., PA
Sen. Panfilo Lacson, vice chairman of the CA defense panel, delivered co-sponsorship speeches for Legarda and Loyola.
Rep. Ronaldo Zamora and Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri also delivered co-sponsorship speeches for other lawmakers.