Hot Breaking News for Filipinos

Ayaw niyo, di wag! Duterte cancels acquisition of 26K assault rifles for the PNP after US’ meddling

0 23

President Duterte ordered on Monday the cancellation of the procurement of about 26 assault rifles from the US-based gun firm after the US State Department blocked its sale to the Philippine National Police (PNP) last week, owing it to the tirades of the Philippine leader against the the US.

“I am ordering its cancellation sa police,” he said during the signing of an executive order that expands the composition of the Bangsamoro Transition Commission (BTC) in Malacanang.

“And we will just have to look for another source that is cheaper but maybe as durable and as good,” Duterte said.

A Reuters report last week (Nov. 1, 2016) said the US state department halted the planned sale of 26,000 assault rifles to the Philippines’ national police amid concerns about human rights violations there.

Aides said Senator Ben Cardin, the top Democrat on the Senate foreign relations committee, said he would oppose the transaction with the long-time ally of the US. The relationship between the two countries has been complicated lately by President Duterte’s angry reaction to Washington’s criticism of his violent drug war.

Despite the US State Department’s announcement, the private gun supplier had announced it will pursue with the deal. The PNP also said that the sale will push through– until Duterte made the announcement about the cancellation today.