Bantay sarado! Duterte signs EO limiting gov’t officials’ overseas trip
President Rodrigo Duterte has signed an executive order (EO) limiting overseas travels of officials in the executive branch, including local politikos.
Duterte made the announcement Friday (January 12) during the 60th birthday party of House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez.
“I just signed an Executive Order banning travel. You let me know first and I will read, I need
to know what you are going for,” he said.
“So as of now, I‟ve — mahirapang travel ngayon, down, pati local officials, down,” he added.
While Duterte did not show a copy of the EO, he said officials must provide him with their itinerary in advance and a summary of what they plan to do abroad.
“Be sure to give me well ahead in time your itinerary and give me a synopsis or — just a short memo of what you intend to do and what is it all about,” he said.
Duterte said there are some officials who will sign up to attend an overseas conference and then go abroad without attending it.
Earlier this month, Malacañang released a memorandum laying down guidelines for overseas travels of officials in the executive branch.
Under the memorandum, requests to leave the country can only be approved by the head of the agency if it meets the following criteria:
– The purpose of the trip is strictly within the mandate of the requesting official or personnel
– The projected expenses of the trip are not excessive
– The trip is expected to bring substantial benefit to the country