Bilyonaryo ‘to! Duterte: Impossible for Bong Go to meddle in Navy’s P15.5B projects
President Rodrigo Duterte doesn’t believe reports that his long-time aide, Christopher “Bong” Go, meddled in the Philippine Navy’s procurement of new warships worth P15.5 billion.
Facing the media after his speech in Pasay City Tuesday (January 16), Duterte challenged online multimedia site Rappler to show proof of Go’s alleged intervention in the project.
“Who gave you idea he can intervene? Where is his signature? Where is your statement? And where is your — even a point of reference?” he asked.
Despite being his aide, Duterte said Go is a bilyonaryo.
“Alam mo, hindi ako mag-yabang pero bilyonaryo ‘to, sa totoo lang. Punta kayong Davao, tanungin niyo kung sino ‘yan,” he said.
Earlier in the day, Rappler posted an article titled: “Bong Go intervenes in P15.5-B project to acquire PH warships.”
Based on the document it obtained, Rappler reported that Go gave Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana a white paper endorsing a certain company for the Combat Management System (CMS) to be installed in the warships.
Go, who holds the position of Special Assistant to the President, also reportedly summoned a Navy officer involved in the project to Malacañang to discuss the selection of CMS.
Duterte told Rappler reporter Pia Ranada to release proof of Go’s meddling in the project and he will fire his aide.
“You prove it to me one word and I will tell him to resign. Pero for your information, mayaman ‘to. They own the biggest printing press in Mindanao, may newspaper rin ito,” he said.