Bongbong hits gag order on Mamasapano clash
Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. slammed the apparent existence of a “gag order” on the covert police operation in Maguindanao that left 44 members of the Philippine National Police Special Action Force (PNP SAF) dead.
Speaking to ANC, Marcos said he has been unable to obtain information about the incident from the government and Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) officials, with MILF chief negotiator Mohagher Iqbal and PNP commanders remaining mum about it.
“There seems to be a gag order and that doesn’t help because what we need to know here are facts…kailanga malaman ang katotohanan, kung ano ba talaga nangyari. Iyun ang unang hakbang bago natin maayos yung BBL (Bangsamoro Basic Law),” he said.
Marcos chairs the Senate committee on local government tackling the Bangsamoro bill. He has suspended discussions on the measure following the clash between SAF members and MILF rebels in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Sunday.
The senator said he is interested to find out why the MILF did not surrender Malaysian terrorist and bomb expert Zulkifli bin Hir, otherwise known as Marwan, and Filipino Basit Usman to authorities even though the turnover of suspected criminals is part of the peace agreement that the Moro group signed with the government last year.
“Now, these two terrorists were in their camp…what happened that they weren’t being handed over to our police? What was the failure there? Was it on the MILF side? Was it on the PNP side? Was it on the government side? We cannot move forward until we know the absolute truth,” Marcos said