Hot Breaking News for Filipinos

Case closed! Ombudsman ends probe on plunder complaint vs. Duterte

0 1,265

The Office of the Ombudsman has ended its investigation on the plunder complaint filed by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV against President Rodrigo Duterte.

In a letter addressed to Solicitor General Jose Calida dated February 12, Overall Deputy Ombudsman Arthur Carandang said the recommendation to terminate the investigation on Duterte was approved by Deputy Ombudsman Cyril Ramos on November 29 last year.

“In reply to your letter dated 8 February 2018, please be informed that the investigation on the complaint entitled ‘Antonio F. Trillanes IV v. Rodrigo Roa Duterte’ and docketed as FF-M-16-0161 was already closed and terminated,” Carandang said.

The deputy Ombudsman, however, said it cannot give Calida copies of the complaint and attachments because they are confidential.

Trillanes filed the complaint a few days before the May 10, 2016 elections, when Duterte was still mayor of Davao City and a presidential candidate.

He accused Duterte of hiring ghost employees for the city government, with P700 million being released for their supposed salaries.

The senator cited a Commission on Audit report stating there is no proof that the 11,000 contractual workers that Davao City hired in 2014 rendered services.