Hot Breaking News for Filipinos

Customs’ latest shabu blunder a big blow to Duterte’s drug war – Alejano

0 2,335

By JOHN CARLO M. CAHINHINAN

Magdalo party-list Rep. Gary Alejano slammed the authorities following the P6.8-billion worth of shabu that have slipped past the Bureau of Customs (BoC) last week.

Alejano said the latest blunder of some corrupt Customs personnel was “a big blow” to the intensified war on drugs of the Duterte administration.

“Patuloy ang pagpasok ng tone-toneladang droga mula sa ibang bansa habang patuloy din ang mga patayan dito sa atin. Nakakapagtaka na sa loob ng dalawang taon na pagtutok ng administrasyon ay nangyayari pa rin ito na naiisahan ang ating mga otoridad,” Alejano said.

Last August 10, PDEA Director General Aaron Aquino said about 1,000 kilograms of shabu from Taiwan worth around P6.8 billion slipped past BoC and other law enforcement authorities, and could already be circulating around the country.

“Maka-ilang beses na nangyayari ito partikular na sa Customs. Hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa nga alam kung sino ang dapat managot sa nakalusot din na Php 6.4 billion na halaga ng shabu. Our law enforcement authorities must be alarmed and must vow not to let this happen again, and again,” said Alejano.

Alejano also noted the seeming boldness of drug traders despite supposed strict policy of the Duterte administration against illegal drugs.

“Sa araw-araw na mga patayan at pagmumura at pagbabanta ni Duterte sa mga sangkot sa droga, bakit may mga naglalakas-loob pa ring magpasok ng shabu dito sa atin? Ito ba ay dahil hindi natatakot o dahil may sinasandalan kaya hindi takot?” Alejano asked.

“I do hope that the intention of the Duterte administration to swipe clean our country of illegal drugs is sincere and indiscriminate. Kung pinapalusot at inaabswelto naman ng administrasyong Duterte ang mga drug lords, talagang patuloy ang pagpasok ng droga. Habang ang mga mahihirap nating kababayan na biktima din sa problema sa droga ay patuloy na pinapatay. Is this a sound and reasonable policy against illegal drugs?” the former rebel soldier added.

Alejano reiterated his call on reassessing the approach of the Duterte administration in addressing the drug problem in our country adding that the legacy President Rodrigo Duterte will leave is a not a drug-free nation, “but a killing spree in the Philippines.”

“This should have long been a wake-up call for the administration and all relevant agencies to review the approach on solving the drug problem. Kung hindi aaminin na mali ang pamamaraan sa giyera kontra-droga, libu-libong Pilipino ang mapapatay ngunit hindi naman masosolusyunan ang problema,” Alejano said.