‘Di aabot ng Disyembre! Duterte will finish peace talks with Reds in 2 months whether there is a deal or no deal
President Rodrigo Duterte will strictly implement the two-month timeline for the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army to come to terms to a peace agreement with the government.
Unlike before, Duterte said he would not allow the talks to drag on aimlessly in a European city with the government footing an ever increasing bill.
“Bakit ako nagmamadali? Paabutin ko ng Disyembre ‘yan, maubos ang pera ko. Hindi naman ito akin and it’s an extraordinary expense,” said Duterte in his arrival speech last Friday.
“I don’t know how I would explain it to Congress because pera ito ng bayan and of course, Congress has always a say on how we spend our money. This one, I’ll try to explain it to them that this is in furtherance of my desire… of our desire, of the nation’s desire to have peace,” he added.
Last week, Duterte ordered the resumption of peace talks with the communists just two months after issuing a proclamtion signifying an end to the negotiations that started when he took office in July 2016.
Duterte said he did not impose any conditions but merely a timeline. He said his demand for a ceasefire during the two-month period – no attacks, no bombings, no extortion on the part of the communists – was a basic requirement of any good faith negotiations.
“I have invited everybody outside of the Philippines who are communist members to come home, the leaders, and we can talk. I will give them my personal and official guarantee na during the two months na magpunta sila dito, they will not be arrested, they will not be molested, and they will not be whatever, caused any inconvenience,” he said.
“So umuwi kayo dito, ako ang magbayad ng lahat, hotel, pagkain, pero hanggang diyan lang. Good time, i-charge mo ‘yan sa iba,” he added.