Di na happy sa Globe, PLDT: Duterte wants China to break up telco duopoly
President Rodrigo Duterte has had enough of the poor services offered by Globe Telecoms and PLDT.
Malacañang on Monday (November 20) announced that Duterte has offered China the chance to become the third player in the country’s telecommunications industry.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte made the offer during his bilateral talk with Chinese Premier Li Keqiang last week.
In a press briefing, Roque said China “has the capital and the technology to provide efficient telecom service.”
“With the number of subscribers that Chinese telecoms company have in China, there can be no doubt that they are amongst the biggest in the world,” he said.
“Consider also the proximity and the fact that we want to avail of as much economic advantage that we could arising from the renewed friendly ties with China,” Roque added.
He said Duterte is so serious about breaking up the duopoly of Globe and PLDT that he has instructed that all applications be filed and acted upon directly by the Office of Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea.
Roque said Filipinos can expect faster and better internet service soon because aside from the entry of a third player into the telco industry, the government has also signed a deal with a Facebook subsidiary for the installation of a fiber optic cable network in Luzon.