Hot Breaking News for Filipinos

DICT defends award of 3rd telco slot to lone bidder Duterte crony Dennis Uy: Computer ang namili!

0 437

The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) defended the validity and integrity of the bidding third telco slot to the consortium of Udenna Corporation of Duterte crony Dennis Uy and state-owned firm China Telecommunications Corporation last Wednesday.

DICT Acting Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr. said that the bidding was transparent as it was live-streamed through its official Facebook page, which provided the opportunity for the public to monitor the proceedings.

“Kahapon live-streaming, kitang-kita po ng publiko ang pagbukas ng dokumento, kita po kung ano ang mayroon at wala sila,” Rio said in a radio interview on Thursday.

“Sila (Mislatel) lang ang nakapagbigay ng kumpletong requirements, kung kaya nila bakit yung iba hindi? ” he added.

Mislatel was the sole remaining bidder for the third telco player after Sear Telecom Consortium of Tier One Communications and LCS Group of Companies and Philippine Telephone and Telegraph Corporation were disqualified due to their failure to submit a participation security and certification of technical capability, respectively.

The disqualified bidders have three days to file their motions for reconsideration.

The National Telecommunications Commission has awarded the provisional third telco player to Mislatel after it scored 456.80 points out of 500 based on its highest committed level of service based on national coverage, Internet speed, and capital and operational expenditures over a five year period.

“Ang pumili po kung sino ang mananalo ay computer at walang human intervention. Computer po ang naglagay ng puntos,” Rio explained.

Mislatel has committed to provide internet speeds of 27Mbps on the first year, which would rise to 55Mbps on the second year until the fifth year of its operations, eventually covering 84 percent of the population.

“Itong Mislatel, nag-commit sila na ang ibibigay nilang speed ay 55 Mbps. Katumbas po ‘yan ng speed sa Singapore ,” according to the DICT official.

The government will be able to forfeit the P14 billion performance bond of Mislatel in the event that it failed to deliver its commitments.

Mislatel still needs to undergo a document verification phase within three calendar days before it is confirmed as the country’s third telco player.

The selection of a third telco player was the culmination of an initiative, which began November last year, when President Rodrigo Duterte pushed for the entry of a new telco firm to smash the Smart-Globe duopoly. (PNA)