Duterte apologizes for death of Abu Sayyaf’s German hostage: We tried our best but failed
President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday (February 28) apologized to Germans for the death of hostage Jurgen Gustav Kantner at the hands of the Abu Sayyaf group.
Duterte, however, said the government tried its best to rescue Kantner.
“I am very sorry that the hostage or a national of your country has been beheaded. I sympathize with the family. I commiserate with the German people,” the President told reporters in Malacañang.
“But, I said, we tried, there’s a massive operation going on… I would like to say something to the family and to the government that we really tried our best,” he added.
While Duterte admitted the government failed in rescuing Kantner, he said it was official policy not to give in to any terrorist group’s demand for ransom.
“It will just increase the numbers,” he said.
The Abu Sayyaf on Monday (February 27) uploaded a grisly video on the Internet showing Kantner’s beheading. Philippine authorities have confirmed that the German national had been killed.
The group had asked P30 million in exchange for Kantner’s freedom.