Duterte warns ICC prosecutor over starting probe: It’s gonna be a messy adventure
President Rodrigo Duterte has warned International Criminal Court (ICC) chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda against starting the investigation on the allegation that he committed crimes against humanity in connection with the bloody war on drugs.
In a speech in Davao City Friday (February 9), Duterte said Bensouda will have her “comeuppance.”
Addressing the ICC prosecutor, the President said: “I respect you as a woman, but as a lawyer medyo– hindi ko masyado ano– do not go into that kind of adventure. It’s a messy one.”
Duterte said that while he’s not the brighest abogado around, he also knows what to do.
“You will get your comeuppance. You cannot just tell people na, and say takutin mo na Trillanes nagsasayaw-sayaw, mukhang walang alam eh,” he said.
In a statement, Bensouda said she has decided to start a preliminary investigation on the Philippines after “a careful, independent and impartial review of a number of communications and reports documenting alleged crimes” potentially falling within the ICC’s jurisdiction.
Abogado Jude Sabio, who represents self confessed killer Edgar Matobato, sent a communication to the ICC last year asking the tribunal to investigate Duterte for crimes against humanity in connection with the administration’s bloody anti-drug campaign.
Sabio claimed that over 8,000 people have died because of the war on drugs, and Duterte’s alleged involvement in the operations of the infamous Davao Death Squad.