Kunin na yung pera! Calida open to compromise deal with Marcoses than let cases drag on
Solicitor General Jose Calida has expressed openness in arriving at a compromise deal with the family of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos regarding their ill-gotten wealth.
In an interview over CNN Philippines’ “The Source” Thursday (January 11), Calida said he will consider a “fair” compromise agreement with the Marcoses.
“Well, lawyers who have been practicing for quite some time would rather have a compromise than have a litigation that will run for several decades as what happened in the PCGG (Presidential Commission on Good Government),” he said.
“If there’s a fair compromise agreement and there are no laws that are broken, we will consider that. Because it’s better to have the cake rather than lose it,” Calida added.
Earlier this month, a draft compromise agreement prepared by Marcos loyalist Oliver Lozano circulated online.
Under the draft, the Marcoses will “share” a certain percentage of their wealth with the government.
In return, the government will lift the executive order of sequestration and pending cases against the Marcoses will be disposed of.
The Marcoses are accused of amassing between $5 billion to $10 billion in ill-gotten wealth during the late strongman’s rule, which lasted over two decades.
Former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has denied the family had a hand in Lozano’s submission of the document.
Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo, meanwhile, said his office has not taken any action on Lozano’s draft proposal.