LOOK: Bautista sends resignation letter to Duterte: I hope you find a replacement in 10 weeks
Commission on Elections chairman Andres Bautista has written President Rodrigo Duterte to inform him of his resignation.
In his letter dated October 11, Bautista said he will be stepping down from his post effective December 31 for personal reasons.
“The approximate 10-week period is meant to provide you, Mr. President, sufficient time to choose my replacement, as well as ensure a smooth and orderly transition within the Commission,” he said.
Just like in the statement he issued earlier in the day, Bautista expressed gratitude to the Filipino people for allowing him to lead the Comelec in conducting the national and local elections.
The Comelec chief said he decided to resign for the sake of his children, who have been affected by his public spat with estranged wife, Patricia.
Bautista’s wife has accused him of amassing ill-gotten wealth amounting to over a billion pesos.
She also claimed the Comelec chair received commissions from the law office of abogado Nilo Divina, which supposedly represents the Venezuelan voting technology firm Smartmatic.