Malisyoso na, sinungaling pa! Duterte calls Rappler ‘fake news outlet’ over article on Bong Go
President Rodrigo Duterte has scored the online multimedia site Rappler for suggesting that his long-time aide, Christopher “Bong” Go, meddled in the Philippine Navy’s procurement of new warships worth P15.5 billion.
Facing the media after hiss speech in Pasay City Tuesday (January 16), Duterte told Rappler: “Your articles are rife with innuendos and pregnant with falsity. We do not intervene in the affairs of the Armed Forces.”
Duterte said Malacañang does not get money from government projects since it only receives complaints and documents.
Addressing the website once again, he said: “Para sa kaalaman ninyo, you can stop your suspicious mind from roaming somewhere else. But since you are a fake news outlet then I am not surprised that your articles are also fake.”
Earlier in the day, Rappler posted an article titled: “Bong Go intervenes in P15.5-B project to acquire PH warships.”
Based on the document it obtained, Rappler reported that Go gave Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana a white paper endorsing a certain company for the Combat Management System (CMS) to be installed in the warships.
Go, who holds the position of Special Assistant to the President, also reportedly summoned a Navy officer involved in the project to Malacañang to discuss the selection of CMS.
Duterte’s long-time aide has denied the allegation, saying someone may have used his name.
The President also expressed incredulity at the accusation against Go.
“It seems to appear na intervening because of what? Money? The things that you are telling here never happened,” he said.