Nadali sa daldal! 48 solons want Sandra Cam out of PCSO, cited in contempt
By Xave Gregorio
Several lawmakers from the House of Representatives are calling for jueteng whistleblower-turned-Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office board member Sandra Cam to resign and be cited in contempt for calling a congressman a gambling lord.
Forty-eight solons signed House Resolution No. 1777 which asks for Cam’s resignation following her “unruly behavior” towards Negros Oriental 3rd District Rep. Arnulfo Teves, who she claimed ran small town lottery (STL) operations in a House probe.
“Aside from accusing a member of the House of alleged wrongdoing, Ms. Sandra Cam called Hon. Teves names, and was yelling and shouting at the latter,” the resolution, authored by Teves, House Minority Leader Rep. Danilo Suarez and Surigao del Norte 2nd District Rep. Robert Barbers.
The resolution refers to the word war that erupted between Cam and Teves during a February 28 House hearing on alleged STL anomalies, where the PCSO board member resulted to insulting the lawmaker after failing to provide documentary evidence to support her claim that illegal numbers games reap P500 million yearly.
Cam also claimed that Teves tried to influence the PCSO board to favor his suggested amendments to the rules and regulations for STL licensing and operations.
The lawmaker moved to cite her in contempt and dared her to resign if she cannot submit evidence which would prove her claim and prompt him to resign. Cam still has not given proof of her allegations.
“Such incident is not the first involving Ms. Sandra Cam and a member of the House,” said the resolution, noting that she also “verbally abused” Suarez.
“Any and all invited guests and resource persons in any committee hearing should at all times accord all members of the House due respect by reason of their positions as duly-elected public officers, accord due respect to the House of Representatives as an institution, observe proper decorum and refrain from exhibiting any unethical and/or contemptuous and arrogant behavior, under pain of penalty,” it said further.
The resolution was filed last week Wednesday (March 14), but was only called in plenary on Monday (March 19) and was referred to the House rules committee.
Aside from Teves, Suarez and Barbers, the following solons signed the resolution:
– North Cotabato 2nd District Rep. Nancy Catamco
– Agusan del Sur 1st District Rep. Maria Valentina Plaza
– Bacolod City Rep. Greg Gasataya
– Cebu City 1st District Rep. Raul Del Mar
– Negros Occidental 2nd District Rep. Leo Rafael Cueva
– Davao del Sur Rep. Mercedes Cagas
– Aklan Rep. Carlito Marquez
– Aangat Tayo Partylist Rep. Harlin Neil Abayon III
– ABS Partylist Rep. Eugene Michael De Vera
– A Teacher Partylist Rep. Julieta Cortuna
– Ako Bicol Partylist Rep. Alfredo Garbin Jr.
– Bohol 1st District Rep. Rene Relampagos
– Capiz 1st District Rep. Emmanuel Billones
– Cebu 5th District Rep. Ramon Durano VI
– Negros Occidental 5th District Rep. Alejandro Mirasol
– Cebu 7th District Rep. Peter John Calderon
– Negros Oriental 1st District Rep. Jocelyn Limkaichong
– Zamboanga del Norte 2nd District Rep. Glona Labadlabad
– ACTS OFW Partylist Rep. Aniceto Bertiz III
– Cebu 6th District Rep. Jonas Cortes
– Makati 2nd District Rep. Luis Jose Angel Campos Jr.
– Senior Citizen Partylist Rep. Francisco Datol Jr.
– Buhay Partylist Rep. Jose Atienza Jr.
– Kabayan Partylist Rep. Ciriaco Calalang
– Manila 1st District Rep. Manuel Luis Lopez
– COOP-NATCCO Partylist Rep. Anthony Bravo
– Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Jay Velasco
– Negros Occidental 3rd District Rep. Alfredo Benitez
– PBA Partylist Rep. Mark Aeron Sambar
– Negros Occidental 1st District Rep. Melecio Yap Jr.
– Palawan 1st District Rep. Franz Alvarez
– Cebu 2nd District Rep. Wilfredo Caminero
– Palawan 3rd District Rep. Gil Acosta
– Iloilo 5th District Rep. Raul Tupas
– Romblon Rep. Emmanuel Madrona
– Nueva Ecija 3rd District Rep. Rosanna Vergara
– Nueva Ecija 4th District Rep. Magnolia Antonino
– Nueva Ecija 2nd District Rep. Micaela Violago
– Buhay Partylist Rep. Mariano Michael Velarde Jr.
– Sagip Partylist Rep. Rodante Marcoleta
– Abang Lingkod Partylist Rep. Joseph Stephen Paduano
– Lapu-Lapu City Rep. Aileen Radaza
– Tarlac 3rd District Rep. Noel Villanueva
– Negros Oriental 2nd District Rep. Manuel Sagarbarria
– Eastern Samar Rep. Ben Evardone
In contrast, only 35 lawmakers endorsed the impeachment complaint filed by abogado Lorenzo Gadon against Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno.