Nalungkot ako! Bilibid inmate Palparan will be safe but no VIP treatment – Bato
Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) Director Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa has assured the safety and security of convicted former general Jovito Palparan inside the New Bilibid Prison (NBP), adding that no special treatment will be given to the retired Army official.
Dela Rosa admitted being downhearted when he met Palparan Thursday morning at the Reception and Diagnostic Center (RDC) of the NBP.
“I felt sad when I first saw him (Palparan) but still, he has to face it (charges) and he has to go through normal process, the standard operating procedure,” he told Bulacan newsmen during his visit to this town as special guest in the birthday party of Ret. Police General Francisco Villaroman, former security chief of then Mayor Rodrigo Duterte in Davao City, held in Barangay Capihan here.
Dela Rosa said Palparan will spend 55 days inside the RDC to undergo an assessment and reformatory program. He will then be transferred to a quarantine building for psychological counseling and later brought to the maximum security compound.
Last month, Palparan, along with Lt. Col. Felipe Anotado Jr. and Staff Sgt. Edgardo Osorio, was sentenced by Malolos Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 15 Judge Alexander Tamayo to reclusion perpetua or 20 to 40 years imprisonment for the 2006 kidnapping and disappearance of University of the Philippines students Sherlyn Cadapan and Karen Empeño.
After handing down the sentence, the RTC issued a commitment order for the transfer of Palparan and his co-accused to the NBP. (PNA)