Hot Breaking News for Filipinos

Nawalan ng bilib: Duterte fires high gov’t officials who backed his presidential bid

0 1,467

President Rodrigo Duterte has fired another set of high ranking government officials who are allegedly involved in corruption or misconduct.

In a speech Tuesday (April 17) in Malacanang, Duterte lamented that the officials he fired happened to be those who supported his candidacy as President.

“You know, I’m very sad to inform you that as of last week I fired another set of high officials. Alam mo, kasi yung iba to my chagrin almost… These were the guys that — who went back and forth to Davao to convince me to run,” he said.

Without naming names, Duterte recalled that the officials he fired urged him to join the presidential race because he could fight corruption and “repair the nation.”

“Ayaw ko sana „yung mawalaan ako ng bilib sa kaibigan o kakilala. I hate it because I know you – — they meant well. But along the way, may papasok talaga na kalokohan ang p***,” he said.

Duterte said the officials he fired should not have convinced him to run or they should have made their intention to do wrong clear at the beginning so he would not have appointed them.

“Nagpapa-corny lang pala tayong lahat dito kasi kung sinabi lang ninyo ng ganun, it’s either hindi ako tumakbo or hindi ko kayo tinanggap. But you know as supporters, early on, even during my mayorship days, they were already around and yet to f*** around. Eh nakakahiya,” he said.

Since the start of the year, Duterte has repeatedly warned that he would be firing several government officials over corruption allegations.

Some of the ranking government officials who supported Duterte’s candidacy but ended up being dismissed from their posts include Peter Tiu Laviña as administrator of the National Irrigation Authority, Dionisio Santiago as chair of the Dangerous Drugs Board, and Mike Sueno as secretary of the Department of the Interior and Local Government.

Cabinet Secretary Leoncio “Jun” Evasco Jr., who had known Duterte since he was a public prosecutor in Davao City, was stripped of his position as chairman of the National Food Authority Council.