No OJTs in crucial Customs posts please – Recto
The country cannot afford OJTs (on-the-job trainees) on training wheels being appointed to “crucial” jobs at the Bureau of Customs (BoC).
Sen. Ralph Recto stressed this point as he urged Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez to revamp the BoC following the resignation of two top officials who had been linked to smuggling.
“A revamp is in order. With the resignation of most members of the current management, a new team must be appointed immediately,” Recto said on Friday.
“These (new officials) must be competent and ethical people, knowledgeable of the intricacies and culture of Customs operators,” the Senate President Pro-Tempore said.
Customs Import Assessment Services (IAS) director Milo Maestrecampo and Neil Anthony Estrella, BoC Intelligence and Investigation Service director have resigned this week amid the controversy involving the smuggling of P6.4-billion worth of shabu from China.
The 604 kilos of shabu, found inside five metal cylinders, were later recovered in a raid on a warehouse in Valenzuela City.