Senators to Duterte: ‘Stop the senseless killings of our children’
Crossing party lines, more than a dozen senators on Monday filed a resolution urging the Duterte administration to stop the spate of deaths of teenagers in either police operations or vigilante killings.
The senators, in filing resolution No. 516, also sought to direct the appropriate Senate committee to conduct an inquiry, in aid of legislation, to determine the institutional reasons, if there’s any, that give rise to such killings.
“Due to the alarming spike in the number of children recently killed in blatant violation of their rights guaranteed by the Constitution, Philippine laws and international treaties, there is an urgent need to conduct an investigation of these senseless killings to identify the concrete efforts the government has undertaken and is undertaking to stop the killings, especially of our children, as well as to determine and address the fiscal, policy and other institutional reasons, if any, that give rise to these killings,” they said.
Senators Francis Pangilinan, Bam Aquino, Joel Villanueva, Risa Hontiveros, Ralph Recto, Franklin Drilon, JV Ejercito, Antonio Trillanes IV, Win Gatchalian, Panfilo Lacson, Grace Poe, Francis Escudero, Sonny Angara, Loren Legarda and Leila de Lima, stood as authors of the said resolution.
In their resolution, they took note of data from the Children’s Legal Rights and Development Center which recorded at least 54 people aged 18 years old and below killed since July.
Most of these children, killed in either police-operations or vigilante-style killings, had been shot while in the company of adults who were the apparent targets of the shooting.
Among those they cited were incidents involving the deaths of 17-year-old Kian Loyd delos Santos, 19-year-old Carl Arnaiz and his supposed 14-year-old companion Reynaldo de Guzman.