Pera ng bayan yan! Robredo calls out Marcos for spending millions on poll protest
Vice President Leni Robredo has criticized former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. for using the money his family supposedly stole from the Filipino people to fund his election protest.
Facing students of the University of the Philippines Los Baños in a leadership forum Friday (April 21), Robredo said she is convinced Marcos knew he lost in the 2016 elections.
“Ang akin lang nakakalungkot na marami pang kautangan sa bayan, na hindi pa nababayaran. At iyong kautangan na iyon, iyon din ang ginagamit para makabalik sa kapangyarihan. Iyon iyong para sa akin nakakalungkot,” she said.
“Tapos na iyong eleksyon, feeling ko alam naman niya na hindi siya nanalo. Feeling ko alam niya naman iyon. Pero iyong desire na makabalik sa kapangyahiran, iyon iyong nakakatakot,” Robredo added.
Earlier this week, Marcos paid P36 million to the Supreme Court as the first installment of the required fee for his electoral protest to push through. He said the money was raised by his supporters.
The Supreme Court, sitting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal, ordered Marcos to pay P66.2 million for the retrieval of election materials for his protest against Robredo.
Despite lacking the war chest Marcos has, Robredo said she is determined to block Marcos from regaining power.
“Pero iyong sa akin kahit hindi pantay, kahit hindi pantay iyong aming pinanggagalingan ay gagawin ko ang lahat para siguraduhin na hindi siya makakabalik,” she said.
“Tingin ko hanggang may tapang lumaban, hanggang may malakas pa ang loob na labanan ang pagbabalik sa kapangyahiran, hindi imposible,” Robredo added.