Where’s Mikee Romero? House’s richest member still on the run
The richest member of the House of Representatives is a neophyte politiko who’s been absent in the chamber since December last year.
A summary of House members’ Statement of Assets, Liabilities and Net Worth (SALN) for 2016 shows 1-PACMAN party-list Rep. Michael Odylon “Mikee” Romero with a net worth of P7,009,588,018.00
Romero has been on the run since a Manila court issued an arrest warrant for him in connection with the P3.4-million embezzlement case involving his family-owned Harbour Centre Port Terminal, Inc. (HCPTI).
Romero is accused of conniving with former HCPTI chief operating officer Edwin Jeremillo and cashier Felicia Aquino to steal money from the company.
Prior to his disappearance, Romero was active in the House, religiously attending sessions and committee meetings.
While Romero is the richest House member, he’s not the chamber’s only bilyonaryo. Coming in second as the politiko with the highest net worth is DIWA party-list Rep. Emmeline Aglipay-Villar with P1,409,149,497.00
Aglipay-Villar’s net worth has risen since marrying Public Works Secretary Mark Villar, the son of bilyonaryo Manny Villar, in 2014.
Here’s the rest of the Top 10 list of lawmakers with the highest net worth:
3. Benitez, Alfredo Abelardo (3rd District, Negros Occidental) 942,964,471.00
4. Marcos, Imelda (2nd District, Ilocos Norte) 917,800,000.00
5. Belmonte, Feliciano Jr. (4th District, Quezon City) 852,132,586.81
6. Lacson, Virgilio (Manila Teachers) 768,824,757.93
7. Fernando, Bayani (1st District, Marikina) 738,000,000.00
8. Santos-Recto, Vilma (6th District, Batangas) 522,616,452.59
9. Floirendo, Antonio Jr (2nd District, Davao del Norte) 491,710,128.16
10. Romualdez, Yedda Marie (1st District, Leyte) 477,940,905.59