Posted on

The Department of Public Works and Highways has no one but itself to blame for a looming cut in its budget for 2018, Sen. Panfilo Lacson said Friday.

In a tweet, Lacson said the Senate had already asked the DPWH as early as October to disaggregate right-of-way and civil works costs in infrastructure projects for 2018.

He said this is due to a provision in the law that says right-of-way issues should be settled before civil works can start. The DPWH failed to do this, he said.

“Since October, we’ve asked DPWH to disaggregate the ROW and civil works costs of their proposed infrastructure projects for FY 2018 in compliance with the law that says ROW issues must be settled first before civil works shall commence. They failed, save for P11.4B. Shouldn’t we cut?” he said .

Lacson, in a separate text message to reporters, said he is confident he can justify the cut he proposed, but added he hopes the parties concerned “we will stick to the issue at hand instead of misleading the public.”

He also noted Sen. Cynthia Villar, whose son Mark heads the DPWH, herself said on the floor during plenary deliberations on the DPWH budget that the ROW problems were partly due to some politicians inserting budgets.