Mike Arroyo urges military to arrest coup plotter Trillanes
By JOHN CARLO M. CAHINHINAN
Former First Gentleman Jose Miguel “Mike” Arroyo on Tuesday urged the General Court Martial to issue an arrest warrant against opposition Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV.
In his Facebook post, Arroyo said the military tribunal definitely still has a jurisdiction over the mutiny charges previously filed against Trillanes.
“So what is the military tribunal waiting for? It can order his arrest and try Mr. Trillanes in a Court Martial proceeding,” said Arroyo.
In a resolution released by Makati RTC Branch 148 Judge Andres Bartolome Soriano on Monday, it said that Proclamation 572 which revoked the amnesty grant given to Trillanes back in 2011 remained valid although the court lost its jurisdiction over the case.
The same resolution also denied the motion of the Department of Justice to issue an arrest order against Trillanes.
Arroyo explained that while the civilian court has no more control over the mutiny charges against Trillanes, the military tribunal can still proceed with its trial since the offenses committed by Trillanes are punishable under the Articles of War.
“First and foremost, arrest that coup plotter and put him in a stockade! The military court definitely has jurisdiction,” said Arroyo.
Trillanes and other fellow rebel soldiers in the Magdalo Group staged two failed coup attempts against Arroyo’s wife former President and now House Speaker Gloria Macapagal Arroyo back in 2003 and 2007.
The former rogue soldier was elected Senator in 2007 and was given amnesty by the previous Aquino Administration in 2011.