The bible of Philippine politics

AFP-Mislatel deal not yet final, Honasan says

0 65

By JOHN CARLO M. CAHINHINAN

Information and Communications Technology Secretary Gregorio “Gringo” Honasan II on Friday said the deal between the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the China-linked third telco DITO Consortium is not yet final.

“Wala pang final ‘yun,” said Honasan during an ambush interview in the House of Representatives.

Honasan said the it was “premature” to say that the agreement is final since the Department of National Defense through Sec. Delfin Lorenzana remains the approving authority over the matter.

Honasan added that Lorenzana still needs inputs from the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) before deciding whether or not to proceed with the project.

“Siguro ang nangyari, masyadong naging premature ang exposure. Wala pang final—ang approving authority dun is DND with inputs from the DICT,” said Honasan.

“Kulang lang sa public information. Premature. I don’t think we should react,” he added

Honasan admitted that he only learned the AFP-DITO deal in the news.

DITO Consortium formerly known as Mislatel, is composed of
Davao-based businessman Dennis Uy’s Udenna Corporation-Chelsea Logistics Holdings Corporation and the Beijing-based China Telecommunications Corporation (China Telecom).

AFP last week signed a deal with the Chinese-linked firm to put its system, towers, and facilities within military bases in the country.

Outgoing AFP chief-of-staff Gen. Benjamin Madrigal said they were just giving Uy’s group a fair share since giant telcos Globe Telecom and PLDT also have presence in military bases.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy