Andaya invites Diokno to lunch to show how to implement salary hike
By JOHN CARLO M. CAHINHINAN
House Majority Floor Leader and Camarines Sur Rep. Rolando Andaya Jr. has threatened to take Budget Sec. Benjamin Diokno before the Supreme Court (SC) over the impending delay in the final tranche of salary increase for government employees.
Andaya said he would not hesitate to file a petition before the court to compel Diokno and the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) to implement the final round of salary standardization for workers in the government.
“In case he is too proud to take an advice from a congressman, then we might just see each other in court. I will personally file a case for mandamus in the Supreme Court if the DBM will not implement the salary increase by January 15,” he said.
Diokno last January 3 said that the last wave of wage hike for government personnel will be most likely delayed after Congress failed to pass last year, the proposed P3.757-trillion National Budget for 2019.
Andaya said President Rodrigo Duterte’s recent decision to extend the shelf life of the 2018 budget under Joint Resolution No. 3 gives DBM more spending authority.
“If Sec. Diokno forgot how he did it, I invite him over lunch to explain how to do it,” said Andaya.
Joint Resolution No. 3 gives more funds and leeway for social services since it extends the availability of funds allocated for maintenance and other operating expenses (MOOE) and for capital outlay (CO) under the 2018 National Expenditure Program (NEP).
Andaya earlier accused Dioko of using scare tactics—that a delay in the budget’s approval will affect the release of the funds for the salary hike of soldiers, policemen, teachers and civilian employees.
Congress has yet to approved the 2019 NEP due to several anomalous allocations worth billions of pesos allegedly inserted in the program.