Baka bagyuhin! Pacquiao’s aide confirms lighting of P50M cauldron taped
Senator Manny Pacquiao shot the lighting of the P50-million cauldron at the New Clark City in Capas, Tarlac ahead of the 2019 Southeast Asian (SEA) Games opening Saturday (November 30) over fears that Typhoon Tisoy might rain on his parade, his aide said.
Jake Joson, who calls himself “Special Assistant to Pacquiao,” said Sunday (December 1) that the lighting of the cauldron was shot in advance as a “contingency plan.”
“Sa laki ng involvement ni Sen MP (Manny Pacquiao) sa pagsindi ng cauldron eh minabuti na nila e shoot ng maaga as contingency plan kung sakaling pumasok na ang bagyo sa Pinas at ulanin opening,” he said in a text message.
Joson said Pacquiao taped the lighting of the cauldron last week so there will be enough time for him to do it again if needed.
“Buti na lang natapos nila on time at maganda kinalabasan,” he said.
Joson said the typhoon was also the reason why the SEA Games opening ceremony took place at the Philippine Arena in Bulacan instead of an outdoor venue.
“Saan ba mas maramng manonood? Sa New Clark or sa TV? So ginawa nila kung saan mas nakararami ang makikinabang,” he said.
A video showing Pacquiao carrying the torch played on screen towards the end of the opening ceremonies.
In the video, the senator was shown handing the torch over to bemedalled boxer Nesthy Petecio, who then pointed it towards the cauldron’s base.
The cauldron subsequently lit up and a fireworks display at New Clark City followed.