BI still checking who among 1,914 convicts freed through GCTA are out of PH
As the Bureau of Immigration (BI) is close to finishing its verification, Justice Secretary Markk Perete said on Wednesday (Sept. 11) no released heinous crimes convict has so far far been found to have left the country.
“There are 126 names more that BI is verifying,” Perete told reporters.
“Yun na lang ang natitira sa 1,900 plus na natapos na nila iverify,” he added.
Recently, Interior Secretary Eduardo Ano said he has received reports that a number of the 1,914 convicts who were released because of good conduct time allowance (GCTA) have fled the Philippines.
“The Department has sought confirmation from the DILG of reports that some prematurely released PDLs (persons deprived of liberty) have left the country,” Perete had said.
“We understand that the DILG is in the course of verifying such raw reports,” he added.