‘Binaboy ako’: Duterte slams Kapamilya network over foreign subsidiaries, tax-free equipment
By Prince Golez
President Rodrigo Duterte has accused ABS-CBN of not paying taxes for their equipment and misreporting the total land area of their compound on Mother Ignacia Avenue in Quezon City.
“Alam mo, itong pangyayari ng ABS, sabihin niyo sa mga anak ninyo, tax-free ‘yan. All equipment ng ABS-CBN, tax-free pumasok. Tapos ang titulo nila, 44 hectares. 44 square meters, Maria Ignacia, it’s supposed to be 44,000 square meters. Yung mga lokohan na,” Duterte said in the unaired portion of his speech in Sulu province last Monday.
The President also criticized the Lopez-owned broadcast network for having “holding companies” abroad.
“Tapos may mga holding company sa labas. Ganun din. Ano ‘yung, ano ‘yung inano nila ni Marcos. Sila rin. Cayman, tapos may holding company sa Hungary, dun nila binubuhos. Kunwari, may ano sila, may investment sila dun. Padala sila ng pera. Pero yung investment na yan, wala na. Yung pera hindi na yan babalik. Kaya walang taxes,” he said.
In his 45-minute speech, Duterte claimed that ABS-CBN, the largest television news outlet in the Philippines, defiled him before his presidential victory in 2016.
“Yun namang ABS-CBN, binaboy ako. Pero sinabi ko pag ako nanalo, bubuwagin ko ang oligarchy ng Pilipinas. Ginawa ko. Without declaring martial law, sinira ko yung mga tao na humahawak sa ekonomiya at umiipit at hindi nagbabayad. They take advantage, sa kanila political power,” he said during his talk with the troops.
Friday last week, the House Committee on Legislative Franchises junked the franchise application of ABS-CBN after 70 lawmakers voted to deny. Only 11 voted for the renewal.