SENATOR Koko Pimentel on Sunday confirmed that his Senate Blue Ribbon Subcommittee–the same one that has probed allegations of corruption against Vice President Jejomar Binay for months–had recommended the filing of plunder charges against the 2016 presidential aspirant.
“Ang recommendation po ng subcommittee imbestigahan for plunder kasi sa mata namin, kung kami ang naging Ombudsman, plunder ‘yun,” Pimentel said in an interview over DZBB radio.
The solon was referring to then-Makati City mayor Binay’s alleged hand in the overpriced construction of the Makati parking building.
The Subcommittee’s report, which contained the recommendation directed toward the Ombudsman, has yet to be officially released. Politiko sources said only four senators have signed the document so far, meaning it needs five more signatures for it to be brought up before the mother Committee’s consideration.
Vice President Binay has snubbed every invitation that was sent his way by the Subpanel chaired by Pimentel, saying the entire Senate inquiry was all part of a grand plan to besmirch his name ahead of the 2016 national polls.
Thus, the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) party founder had never bothered to explain his side of the issue in front of the senators.
Meanwhile, Pimentel bared that the Subcommittee report also pitched for the filing of plunder charges against Binay’s son, incumbent Makati Mayor Junjun Binay and the members of the local government’s Bids and Awards Committee (BAC).
The lawmaker likewise said the alleged collusion between Binay aides Gerry Limlingan, Ebeng Baloloy; Efren Canlas, Robert Henson of Hillmarcs Construction Corporation (building contractor) and Orlando Mateo of Mana Architecture (building designer) also need to be investigated.
Pimentel, a lawyer, said that local auditors from the Commission on Audit (COA) may have also erred for failing to find adverse findings during the five-year, five-phase construction of the Makati parking building. (Randy K. Ortega)