The bible of Philippine politics

Cayetano reveals root of grudge vs. ABS-CBN: Ininterview ako pero sandali lang airtime!

0 127

By JOHN CARLO M. CAHINHINAN

House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano said broadcast giant ABS-CBN has given VIP treatment to certain national candidates during the 2016 presidential polls.

In an interview in the House of Representatives, Cayetano said “there are real issues” that need to be tackled by Congress since no less than President Rodrigo Dutete is opposing the proposed franchise renewal of the Kapamilya network.

According to Cayetano, one of the four vice presidential candidates previously invited by the television network has been given extended airtime on primetime newscast TV Patrol compared to other contenders then.

“Apat kaming naimbitahan na vice presidential candidate sa DZMM.Yung isa nilabas sa 6:30 p.m. news, sa Bandila, sa Umagang Kay Ganda at lunch time. Yung dalawa sa amin, DZMM and then, Bandila (lang),” said Cayetano.

“Yung isa sa amin sa DZMM (lang), hindi lumabas sa iba. So may mga katanungan kami or issue,” he added.

Cayetano refused to name which vice presidential bet enjoyed special treatment from the top executives of the broadcast network.

Among those who were invited during the DZMM forum include Cayetano, incumbent Vice President Leni Robredo, former Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., and former Senator now Sorsogon Gov. Francis Escudero.

In an interview the ABS-CBN News Channel last Tuesday admitted that he has a personal grudge against the network for supposedly meddling in the political arena during the height of the 2016 presidential polls.

“I feel that there’s certain instances in history and in the 2016 election na naki-alam unjustly some sectors or some leaders of ABS, so how do you sort it out?” said Cayetano in an interview with the ABS-CBN News Channel.

“People like me, ako may angal din ako. I’ll tell you this is my personal ha? On one hand I feel that we have to protect the freedom of press and freedom of expression,” he added.

The broadcast giant in 2016 failed to air Duterte’s political ad during the final stretch of the campaign period despite paying close to P20 million and instead aired a smear campaign commercial against him which was paid by former Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV.

Duterte on several occasions threatened ABS-CBN that he will veto its franchise renewal if ever it will hurdle congressional approval.

But Cayetano gave an assurance that the Lower House under his helm will exercise fairness in tackling the matter amidst earlier opposition from the chief executive.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy