The Legislative-Executive Development Advisory Council (LEDAC) has identified 11 revenue measures that could be approved before the last State of the Nation Address (SONA) of President Rodrigo Duterte.
House Committee on Ways and Means chairperson and Albay Rep. Joey Salceda said the priority measures are:
1. Government Financial Institutions Unified Initiatives for Distressed Enterprises (GUIDE)
2. Package 3 (Valuation Reform)
3. Package 4 (Passive Income and Financial Intermediaries Taxation Act)
4. Public Service Act
5. Retail Trade Liberalization
6. Foreign Investment Act
7. Agri-Agra Law
8. Medical Reserves Corps Act
9. Creation of a Disease Prevention and Control Authority
10. Tax regime for Philippine Offshore Gaming Operations (POGO) and for Off-cockpit Betting Stations (OCBS)
11. Pension reform for military and uniformed personnel
Of the 11 measures, Salceda has filed 10 before being prioritized by the LEDAC.
Salceda said the enactment of the revenue measures, particularly the tax regime for POGOs and OCBS, are crucial to help the government monitor the industry more strictly.
“Right now, absent any regulations, POGOs and OCBS are free to do much of what they want, and we are unable to tax them right. The TRO on POGO taxation also complicates the matter. The laws we are trying to pass are TRO-proof,” said Salceda.
Salceda said tax policies that generate revenue but do not hurt the people are needed to expand the economy and expedite recovery.