De Lima shows solidarity with mothers who lost kids to drug war
No mother should bury her child.
“This is what every mother fears,” said detained Senator Leila de Lima as she deplored the living conditions of elderly Filipino mothers who lost their sons or daughters to the government’s war on drugs.
She said some elderly mothers continue to suffer from untold hardships even years after their children were killed in alleged police operations against suspected drug personalities.
De Lima on Tuesday pointed out that thousands of elderly Filipino mothers still carry the emotional burden of the drug war even when their children have long been laid to final rest.
“Sadly, under this tyrannical Duterte regime and its failed war on drugs, this is a tragic reality that thousands of mothers have gone through; a harrowing ordeal that they live with every day,” she said.
“[T]hese mothers’ pain will never truly disappear. They will never forget. They will continue to cry for justice for their sons, daughters, and even grandchildren whose lives were cut short by an evil man who had the gall to play god,” De Lima said.
She recalled an article entitled “Elderly Mothers Bear the Emotional Burden of the Drug War” published by Global Health NOW last June 6, narrating the plight of 70-year-old Elvira Miranda and 60-year-old Carmelita Bajacan whose sons were shot and killed during an anti-drug police operation in Manila North Cemetery on Aug. 3, 2017.
“Their sons had been dead for a year or more, but these mothers wept like it happened yesterday,” De Lima said, citing Bianca Franco, a researcher at the Ateneo de Manila University who covered communities victimized by the drug war.
Aside from the emotional burden left on their frail shoulders, she noted how the elderly mothers like Miranda and Bacajan were left to hold the responsibility of providing for the needs of their grandchildren.
Of the 28,176 individuals killed since Mr. Duterte launched his so-called war on drugs in July 2016, 5,176 of whom are considered “drug personalities” while 23,000 are victims officially recorded under the category of “homicide cases under investigation”.
Some innocent individuals, including children and teenagers who have lost their otherwise bright future and promising lives to the drug war, are now relegated by the present government as mere “collateral damage.”
De Lima, a mother of two, reiterated her call for the Philippine government to heed the human rights community’s incessant clamor to “stop the killings now” to prevent further casualties due to the drug war.