Deny pa more! Customs website posts Duterte’s order to suspend deals with countries backing UN probe of drug war
President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered all government agencies to suspend negotiations and signing of all loan and grant agreements with countries that co-sponsored and/or voted in favor of the United Nations resolution for the probe of the administration’s drug war.
Despite Malacañang’s denial about the existence of the memorandum, a copy had been posted on the Bureau of Customs’ (BOC) website.
The August 27 memorandum, signed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, said the suspension of negotiations was being made “pending the assessment of our relations with these countries.”
Presidential Salvador Panelo on Friday (September 20) denied the existence of the memorandum.
“The President has not issued any memorandum suspending loans and negotiations involving 18 countries that voted in favor of the Iceland resolution,” he said.
The United Nations Human Rights Council approved a resolution in July for the compilation of a comprehensive report on Duterte’s three-year war on drugs.
Eighteen countries which are members of the council voted in favor of the resolution.
As of Saturday afternoon (September 21), the memorandum can no longer be found on the BOC’s website.