Desisyon ko ito, promise! Cayetano denies Duterte pushed him out of Cabinet to run for Congress
Outgoing Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano denied that President Rodrigo Duterte instructed him to run.
He claimed that he decided on his own to run for Congress in 2019 because he felt he could serve the President better as an ally in Congress.
Cayetano is vacating the DFA leadership to run as Taguig City representative for the 2019 mid-term polls.
“I asked for his support and he confirmed it to me,” Cayetano said.
Cayetano said he would seek the House Speakership.
While his supporters have been urging him to run for congressman after Rep. Pantaleon Alvarez was ousted as house speaker in July 2018, Cayetano said he only decided to run after the visit of Duterte to Israel and Jordan last month.
Cayetano confirmed he will file his certificate of candidacy on Wednesday.
“Because I expected to finish the ASEAN-EU Summit and the visit of President Xi Jinping, I was initially geared to substituting and resign after the state visit, but I felt that ang gusto ng pangulo ‘lahat ng tatakbo, tumakbo na kayo’,” he said.
Cayetano said he would meet with DFA secretary-designate Teodoro Locsin Jr. on Monday to discuss transition in the agency’s leadership.
“If the appointment papers are in order, and if papayag ‘yong secretary-designate, I’d like to do the symbolic turning over of the DFA flag to him on Wednesday or sooner,” he told reporters after the flag retreat at the DFA-Office of Consular Affairs Friday.
Locsin, who is current Philippine Permanent Representative to the United Nations in New York, earlier said he accepted the offer from President Duterte. (PNA)