DFA denies Duterte ignored in Japan: ‘The allegations are false’
By Prince Golez
There is no truth to claims that President Rodrigo Duterte cut short his attendance to the enthronement of Emperor Naruhito for having been “unceremoniously ignored” in Japan, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said.
“The allegations are false,” Assistant Secretary Eduardo Meñez said as he cited information from the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo.
Meñez issued the statement after a certain Ding Velasco, in a viral Facebook post, claimed that Duterte had to return to the Philippines Tuesday evening because the seating protocol allotted to him was downgraded to that of an ambassador.
On Tuesday, Malacañang said Duterte left Japan ahead of schedule due to “unbearable pain” in his spine near the pelvic bone from a motorcycle accident last week.
The Chief Executive was diagnosed to be having muscle spasms and was advised to rest and take pain relievers, his spokesman Salvador Panelo said.