‘Di kailangang face to face: SC allows courts to continue hearings via teleconference
Court Administrator Jose Midas Marquez advised courts that they may continue to conduct the videoconferencing hearings now that the government has eased quarantine restrictions in the country.
“Videoconferencing hearings will continue during GCQ (general community quarantine),” said Marquez in a statement.
Marquez said that “if a party wishes his/her case to be heard via videoconferencing, the proper motion just needs to be filed, and the court, using its sound discretion, can either grant or deny the motion.”
“This remedy is available in both civil and criminal cases,” he added.
The government has already placed under GCQ starting June 1 Metro Manila and other areas previously under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).
Marquez said the conduct of video conferencing hearings have been access after being allowed by the Supreme Court (SC).
He noted that in a month there had been more than 7,000 videoconfrencing hearings and more than 22,000 persons deprived of liberty (PDL) released during these hearings.
“There have already been three convictions promulgated online by our trial courts,” he disclosed.