Human rights lawyer Chel Diokno is a book worm and has shared some of his favorite reads.
The five books recommended by Diokno for “woke people” included The Quartet of the Tiger Moon, The Stand, The Legend of Bagger Vance, The Lord of the Rings, and Gifts of the Unknown Things.
1. The Quartet of the Tiger Moon (Scenes from the People Power Apocalypse) (1986) by Quijano de Manila — National artist Nick Joaquin’s take on the EDSA Revolution (should be required reading for historical revisionists); #25ChelDiokno
2. The Stand (unabridged edition) by Stephen King — the best modern good versus evil doomsday apocalypse book (so relevant in these times); #25ChelDiokno
3. The Legend of Bagger Vance by Steven Pressfield — even if you’re not into golf, it’s an inspiring story about the game of life; #25ChelDiokno
4. The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien—the best classic good vs evil book, complete w trolls (of the same breed we encounter online), an assortment of bad guys, a few good people, and hobbits! #25ChelDiokno
5. Gifts of Unknown Things by Lyall Watson — a true adventure story like no other, about nature and healing, and excellently written. #25ChelDiokno