Duterte orders DFA: Send VFA termination notice to US
By Prince Golez
President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered that the government’s notice to terminate the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) be served to the United States (US) government, Malacañang said on Friday.
“(Duterte) is instructing (Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea) to tell (the Secretary of Foreign Affairs Teodoro “Teddyboy” Locsin Jr.) to send the notice of termination to the US government,” according to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.
In a text message, Panelo said Duterte is set to hold a telephone call with his US counterpart Donald Trump.
“(The President) also is scheduled to talk by phone with Pres. Trump anytime,” he added.
Last month, Duterte ordered to scrap the VFA following the cancellation of Senator Ronald “Bato” de la Rosa’s US visa.