Gov’t to charge ‘several’ top Customs officials – Palace
By Prince Golez
Malacañang on Wednesday said the government will file criminal and administrative cases against officials of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) for unlawful activities.
President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the “freezing of several high-ranking Customs officials and employees” involved in illegal activities, according to his spokesman Salvador Panelo.
Their names would be disclosed “at the appropriate time,” said Panelo.
“We continue to dismantle corruption in the bureaucracy and rid it of corrupt officials and employees,” he added.
Duterte earlier said he would be firing four more officials from the corrupt-ridden bureau.
“The President’s latest action underscores this Administration’s zero tolerance on corruption among erring officials. The anti-corruption campaign is continuing as it is relentless. No one will be spared,” Panelo said.
In October last year, Duterte placed the entire BOC under the control of the Armed Forces of the Philippines to address corruption and smuggling at the agency.