Vice President Leni Robredo on Sunday (April 7) slammed attempts to paint her readiness to assume the presidency as "eagerness" to take over the position, following President Rodrigo Duterte's threat to declare a revolutionary government.

Handa pero ‘di atat! Robredo hits claims she’s rushing to be president amid RevGov talks

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Vice President Leni Robredo on Sunday (April 7) slammed attempts to paint her readiness to assume the presidency as “eagerness” to take over the position, following President Rodrigo Duterte’s threat to declare a revolutionary government.

During her weekly radio show, Robredo stressed that she was merely responding to questions about her preparedness to carry out her mandate.

This comes after Duterte threatened to declare a revolutionary government to crack down on his critics. His remarks prompted legal experts to point out that if the President pushes through with his threat, Robredo will have to take over the presidency.

“Hindi naman tayo iyong nagsimula ng usapin. Actually, si Pangulo ang naggawa ng isang deklarasyon at tayo ay pinapa-komento lang doon,” she said.

Robredo also explained that Duterte’s plan of a revolutionary government was not similar with that of the late former President Corazon Aquino’s declaration.

“Noong panahon ni President Cory, ibang-iba iyong sitwasyon ngayon. Alam mo naman na noon, kagagaling lang natin sa EDSA Revolution. Iyong nakaupo na pangulo, umalis sa Pilipinas, inabandona iyong kaniyang propesyon. Mayroong kalituhan dahil dalawang pangulo iyong nanumpa—nanumpa si Presidente Cory dahil siya naman talaga iyong nanalo sa eleksyon, nanumpa din si dating Pangulong Marcos. So iba iyong sitwasyon noon,” she said.

“Noon, maraming kalituhan, kaya iyong kung naaalala natin, iyong pagdeklara ng revolutionary government, very limited time lang, ‘di ba? Talagang inayos lang iyong mga gusot, ipinasa na iyong 1987 Constitution,” she added.

Robredo, a lawyer by profession, again noted that declaring a revolutionary government would be unconstitutional, also adding that there are no circumstances that would warrant the suspension of the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus.

The Vice President then reiterated her call for public servants to remain prudent in words and actions, even in the face of criticisms.

“Iyong trabaho namin, talagang maraming kahirapan, marami talagang magte-test sa aming pasensya, maraming frustrations, marami kaming gustong gawin na hindi ganoon kadaling gawin dahil sa mga circumstances. Pero hindi dahil doon, hindi iyon ang nagbibigay sa amin ng lisensya para magsabi ng kung anong gusto naming sabihin kasi iyong sinasabi namin, parating may epekto sa ating bayan,” she said.

Leave a Comment

POLITIKO / Live!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

POLITIKO / Across the Nation

POLITIKO / Latest News

Holiday na nagka-pasok pa! Netizens fume as Duterte declares Nov 2, Dec 24, Dec 31 2021 as working days

Netizens expressed dismay with President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision to lessen the number of non-working days in 2021 in a bid to spur economic growth amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Duterte on Friday (February 26) signed Proclamation No. 1107, which categorized three days that had been declared special holidays as special working days. These are Nov. 2 (All Souls’ Day), Dec. 24 (Christmas Eve), and Dec. 31 (New Year’s Eve).

“For the country to recover from the adverse impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, there is a need to encourage economic productivity by, among others, minimizing work disruption and commemorating some special holidays as special (working) days instead,” Duterte’s proclamation read.

Writer @JerryGracio tweeted: “Hindi na special non-working holiday ang All Souls Day. Wala kasing kaluluwa si Duterte.”

Journalist @prinzmagtulis said: “Duterte government’s strategy to revive the economy: Ease monetary policy || Reject additional fiscal stimulus || Lessen holidays.”

Twitter user @Punongbayan_ asked: “Payag ka rito pero si Duterte, 365 days ang non-working holidays?”

Netizen @nicoquejano tweeted: “Okay. Sa mga nagsasabi na pumapasok naman talaga sila pag December 24 at December 31. Mga teh, Duterte just took away the holiday premium you get for working on a holiday! Suck on that, mga DDS. Puñeta.”

Twitter user @Nicocoleeta said: “Sana di na magkaroon ng masarap na ulam ever si Duterte at pamilya nya. pwede naman kasi tanggalin yung Nov. 30, Day of Valor, or Chinese New Year as holidays eh, pero nope yung mga holidays na in a way ‘need’ para macelebrate yung occassion with families.”

Markahan na kalendaryo! Here are the important dates for May 2022 elections

The election fever is expected to rise in the coming months as the May 2022 polls near.

While a number of politikos are still coy about their political plans, they are for sure laying down the groundwork for next year to meet the key dates set by the Commission on Elections (Comelec).

Resolution No. 10695 issued by the Comelec on February 10, 2021 detailed the calendar of activities in the run-up to the 2022 elections.

Among the important poll-related dates and activities listed in the resolution are:

May 31, 2021: Last day for filing of petitions for registration of coalition of political parties

October 1, 2021 to October 8, 2021: Period for filing certificates of candidacy and certificates of nomination for all elective positions

November 15, 2021: Last day for the substitute of an official candidate of a political party or coalition who withdrew, died, or was disqualified by final judgment to file certificate of candidacy in order to reflect the name of the substitute on the official ballot.

February 8, 2022 to May 7, 2022: Campaign period for candidates for president, vice president, senator and party-list groups.

March 25, 2022 to May 7, 2022: Campaign period for candidates for members of the House of Representatives and other local positions.

DOJ assures review of gov’t drug-related ops will continue

The government will continue to review anti-illegal drugs operations where deaths have occurred, Department of Justice (DOJ) Undersecretary Adrian Sugay assured on Friday (Feb. 26).

“What we have thus far is an initial report,” Sugay pointed out.

“And we intend to continue the review of cases involving anti-illegal drug operations where deaths occurred,” he assured.

“We intend to come out with further findings and recommendations,” he added.

Last Wednesday (Feb. 24) Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra reported there were irregularities in the police drug operations during the review conducted by the DOJ-led inter-agency panel.

“Any and all possible administrative/criminal liability against those involved in these anti-illegal drug operations where deaths occurred may be pursued depending on any further findings/recommendations,” Sugay also assured.

TRENDING NEWS

MCD MULTI MEDIA/ Network

Business News

Tagalog News

Weekly Sports News

Sign up for our Newsletter

We are a social news blog where politikos, their kin, friends and allies are the center of the universe. We write about their words and deeds, likes and dislikes, dreams and fears. We are here to entertain, provoke and hopefully inform you along the way.

Disclaimer