Ilocos Norte Rep. Rudy Farinas and Marikina Rep. Miro Quimbo are expected to slug it out for the post of Minority Leader in the new era of Speaker Gloria Macapaga-Arroyo.
A Politiko source said Farinas, the former Majority Leader, was likely to seek a vocal role in the Arroyo House especially after seeing rival Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos joining the victory parade for the new Speaker at the Batasan session hall last Monday. Farinas and Arroyo belong to the ruling PDP-Laban party.
Arroyo has appointed Capiz Rep. Fred Castro as her Deputy Speaker with Camarines Sur Rep. Rolando Andaya as her Speaker.
The same source said Farinas’ likely opponent for the post woudl be Quimbo of the Liberal Party.
Quimbo was one of 12 House members who abstained during the post-State of the Nation Address quorum which voted for Arroyo as Speaker.
The other abstentions were:
1) Cavite Rep. Francis Gerald Abaya
2) Dinagat Islands Rep. Kaka Bag-ao
3) Quezon City Rep. Bolet Banal
4) Ifugao Rep. Teddy Baguilat
5) Quezon City Rep. Kit Belmonte
6) Negros Oriental Rep. Jocelyn Limkaichong
7) Pangasinan Rep. Christopher De Venecia
8) Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman
9) Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice
10) Northern Samar Rep. Raul Daza
11) Camarines Sur Rep. Gabriel Bordado Jr.