Hontiveros to Duque: What’s contingency plan for new Covid-19 variant?
Senator Risa Hontiveros on Sunday called on the Covid-19 czars and Health Secretary Francisco Duque III to immediately release a contingency plan amid reports that the new UK Covid-19 variant could already be in the country.

Hontiveros to Duque: What’s contingency plan for new Covid-19 variant?

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Senator Risa Hontiveros on Sunday called on the Covid-19 czars and Health Secretary Francisco Duque III to immediately release a contingency plan amid reports that the new UK Covid-19 variant could already be in the country.

“Hindi pwedeng maging in denial sa banta ng bagong Covid-19 variant. Ang bagal na nga ng vaccine procurement natin, humina pa ang testing at laboratory operations natin. We can’t go back to square one,” she said.

According to Dr. John Wong of the health research institution Epimetrics Inc., this new variant could increase the number of cases in the country by 15 times. It is also reportedly 70 pecent more infectious than the original variant.

“Tapos na ang 2020, pero hindi tapos ang pandemya. Handa ba ang mga ospital natin kung bigla na lang tumalon ang mga kaso natin to 300,000 a month? That’s almost all our 2020 infections in a single month. Tigilan na ang complacency,” Hontiveros said.

“We need to prepare our hospitals for the worst case scenario. The UK Covid-19 variant is a game changer, and if we are caught off guard many will die,” she said.

Hontiveros added that there could be many ‘missing cases’ because the country’s pandemic response became lax during the holidays.

She said the drop in the reported number of cases in December despite the increase in foot traffic outdoors could be an indicator that testing had decreased. She expressed that this was extremely ‘worrisome’ “because it means there is an increase in infections going undetected.”

“Hindi magic bullet ang bakuna para sa pandemya. Lalo na at mabilisang mag-mutate ang coronavirus,” Hontiveros said.

“Kay Sec. Duque at sa napakadaming Covid czars, huwag na nating ulitin ang nangyari last year noong hindi tayo naghanda dahil akala ng lahat ay tatlo lang ang kaso ng COVID-19 kasi hindi tayo nag-te-test nang maayos. Yun pala, kalat na kalat na,” she said.

Leave a Comment

POLITIKO / Live!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

POLITIKO / Across the Nation

POLITIKO / Latest News

Trending News

MCD MULTI MEDIA/ Network

Weekly Sports News

Sign up for our Newsletter

We are a social news blog where politikos, their kin, friends and allies are the center of the universe. We write about their words and deeds, likes and dislikes, dreams and fears. We are here to entertain, provoke and hopefully inform you along the way.

Disclaimer