The House of Representatives will summon top executives of Facebook and Google in the Philippines to explain why the “Ang Totoong Narco List” videos continue to remain live online despite being proven to contain false and damaging information.
Representatives of Ako Bicol party-list filed Wednesday House Resolution 2585 asking the House Committe on Information and Communications Technology to conduct a legislative inquiry on the possible liability of social media platforms in spreading the lies contained in the “Ang Totoong Narco List” videos.
Ako Bicol Party-List Rep. Alfredo Garbin Jr. said concrete action must be taken to ensure social media platforms are not used to aid or abet in the commission of crimes.
“There is an imperative need for a ‘take down clause’ to be included in our law empowering the proper government agency to restrict and/or demand the immediate removal of content found to be libelous, seditious, defamatory and/or contrary to any provisions of existing laws, without the need for a court order,” he said.
Ako Bicol party-list filed the resolution after ex-convict Peter Joemel Advincula, who claims to be the whistleblower “Bikoy,” surfaced last week to retract the allegations he made in the “Ang Totoong Narco List” video series.
In episode five, Bikoy claimed that a big time drug syndicate with links to President Rodrigo Duterte’s family has its headquarters at the luxury Misibis Bay resort in Albay.
After initially standing his allegations, Advincula held a press conference at Camp Crame on May 23 clearing the people he linked to the illegal drug trade of any wrongdoing.
Prior to Advincula’s reappearance at Camp Crame, Misibis Bay owner and Ako Bicol party-list founder Elizaldy Co filed a P1.1-billion lawsuit against Facebook and YouTube for failing to take down the “Ang Totoong Narco List” video where his resort was mentioned.
Co said in a complaint filed before the Legazpi Prosecutor’s Office that the social media giants should be held liable for violating Section 4 of Republic Act 10175 or the Cybercrime Prevention Act.
The businessman said his camp made repeated requests to Facebook and YouTube about taking down the video but these were ignored.