By Prince Golez
The International Criminal Court (ICC) is being used by critics and detractors of President Rodrigo Duterte to take their political agenda forward, Malacañang said.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo issued the remark Wednesday, a day after lawyer Jude Sabio withdrew the complaint he filed before the International Criminal Court against Duterte.
“The ICC has to wake up from its stupor if not ignorance. It should realize by now that it is being used by disgruntled and discredited persons to advance their goal of besmirching the reputation of (the President) and achieving their impossible dream of bringing down the Duterte presidency,” said Panelo.
Citing Sabio’s reason for dropping his ICC case, the spokesman said the complaint against Duterte for alleged crimes committed during the government’s drug war was part of a campaign to vilify the chief executive.
“(Former senator Antonio) Trillanes (IV) must be squirming in his disgraced retirement by Sabio’s turnabout. Lies can only be sustained for sometime. When conscience haunts and torments the peddler, it melts by the heat of truth,” he added.
In September last year, Sabio admitted he had a falling out with Trillanes, saying the former senator stopped sending him monthly allowance. He also claimed that Trillanes still owes him P700,000 for his services to whistleblower Edgar Matobato, a confessed killer and member of the so-called Davao Death Squad.