Posted on

On President Rodrigo Duterte’s orders, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro “Teddyboy” Locsin signed Tuesday (February 11) the notice terminating the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) with the United States.

Locsin tweeted that the notice has been received by an official from the US Embassy.

DFA signs VFA termination notice

“@DFAPHL The Deputy Chief of Mission of the Embassy of the United States has received the notice of termination of the Visiting Forces Agreement. As a diplomatic courtesy there will be no further factual announcements following this self-explanatory development,” he said.

Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Brigido Dulay tweeted that Locsin signed the notice after receiving Duterte’s order from Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea.

Duterte says Trump wants to keep VFA: Sabi ko ayaw ko

“On the order of the President thru Executive Secretary Medialdea, Foreign Affairs Secretary Locsin signed today the notice of termination of the Visiting Forces Agreement, which will delivered to the US Embassy in Manila forthwith. @DFAPHL,” Dulay said.

The VFA is deemed terminated upon a party’s written notice of its intention to end the agreement. It will take effect 180 days after the notification was made.

The accord, which took effect in 1999, covers the conduct of American soldiers in the Philippines. It also provides for the passport- and visa-free entry of US forces.

Duterte threatened to terminate the VFA last month after Senator Ronald Dela Rosa confirmed his US visa had been cancelled by the US government.

Duterte orders DFA: Send VFA termination notice to US

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *