By Xave Gregorio
Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos clarified that when she called on Filipinos to move on from her father’s brutal two-decade dictatorial rule, she did not mean that they should forget what has happened in the past.
However, Marcos stood by her earlier appeal for the public to move on from the regime of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr., despite drawing flak from netizens and some lawmakers.
“Hindi ko naman sinasabi na kalimutan ang nakaraan kundi ating sinasaad na ang kasaysayan ang pinakamahusay na guro at kailangan matutunan natin ang pagkakamali na marami tayong kapalpakan at mga sinayang na pagkakataon upang umunlad sa na ang ating bansa,” the younger Marcos said Friday (August 31) at the Nanka media forum in Quezon City.
“So sana sa kabila ng pagnanais natin na talagang umusad, eh talagang dibdibin natin ang natutunan nating pagkakamali ng nakaraan at ituloy ang ating kinabukasan sa tamang landas,” she said.
Imee also “apologized” to those who were “inadvertently pained” when her father was at the helm of the country, but refused to issue an apology that would be “tantamount to an admission.”
Her brother, former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., also refused to say sorry last week for the atrocities committed during their father’s rule.
According to the World Bank – United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime’s Stolen Asset Recovery Initiative, the late dictator Marcos amassed around $5 to $10 billion in ill-gotten wealth during his brutal 21-year rule.
The Human Rights Victims Claims Board has listed 11,103 people who would receive around P180,000 to P1.7 million in compensation for the human rights violations they suffered during Marcos’ martial rule beginning 1972.