Cavite Vice Governor Jolo Revilla was rushed to the hospital on Saturday, February 28, after sustaining a gunshot wound on his upper right chest.
In a statement, Atty. Raymund Fortun, spokesman of the Revilla family, said the 26-year-old actor accidentally shot himself while cleaning his handgun.
“At 9 a.m. today (Saturday) at Ayala Alabang, Vice Governor Jolo Revilla suffered a single gunshot wound on his right chest after he accidentally fired a .40 Glock handgun while cleaning the same,” Fortun said.
He said Revilla is currently under observation and medication at Asian Hospital in Muntinlupa. “He will remain in the hospital for at least the next 48-72 hours,” the lawyer added.
The Revilla family has asked for prayers for the speedy recovery of the young actor.
Earlier, Revilla’s talent manager Lolit Solis said in a radio interview that the gunshot wound was allegedly self-inflicted.
Solis disclosed that Jolo was the most affected in their family by the incarceration of the Revilla’s patriarch – Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr.
Bong, along with fellow senators Juan Ponce Enrile and Jinggoy Estrada, has been in detention since last year over corruption charges in connection with the alleged P10-billion pork barrel scam.